Announcement date: April 7, 2014
Release rollout date: April 14, 2014
We are excited to announce the following features and updates to the NJVID platform effective the night of April 14, 2014. These changes are based on the feedback we have received from the NJVID administrators & users.
1. Administrators can specify a default listing option in the “Add media” interface for a collection
Currently, when a media object is created, the visibility of the object is set to “List video in public searches and listings” by default. With this update, administrators can now go to collection properties and change the default listing setting for objects in the “Add media” interface. Any changes made to this setting will not affect the search listing setting on existing objects in the collection. The search listing can still be changed to other values if required by the user uploading content.
2. Changes in our LMS integration tool
- Enhanced Collection listing for Instructors in “Pick a media” screen – In the “Pick a media” screen, Instructors are able to select a collection before selecting a media object from the collection. Currently Instructors can see only publicly listed collections in the selection interface. With this update, Instructors will be able to see unlisted collections as well, if they have access to at least one media object in the collection that they have view access to and if the object’s visibility is not hidden.
- Hierarchical Collection listing for “Select a source” dropdown menu in LTI tool – Today, when a user wants to a pick a media file from a particular collection, the collection is displayed as flat list under the ‘Select a Source’ option. We realize that the flat listing of collections does not provide the best user experience, especially if the collection structure becomes more complex at each Institution. With this update, when the user clicks on “Pick a collection” from the drop-down menu, the collections are now presented as a tree structure. This hierarchical representation will allow users to easily navigate through institutional collections to select a media file.
- Larger widescreen player in LMS – The media player within Blackboard, Moodle, Sakai and others will now be available in an increased size to improve visibility of the media file and player functionality. Additionally for Canvas users, the instructor has the option to choose a small player (current size) or the widescreen media player.
Please feel free to contact us with your questions or comments by sending an email to email@example.com.
– NJVID staff
NJVID is a service provided by NJEDge.Net – New Jersey Research and Education Network